Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday in the Third Week of Advent

"A remnant will return...For though your people Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will return. Destruction is decreed, overflowing with righteousness...And in that day God's burden will depart from your shoulder, and God's yoke will be destroyed from your neck."

I gave up listening to commercial radio well over 15 years ago. I finally got tired of being yelled at by disembodied voices while driving to and from work. I wearied of the endless contests, promotions and hype. In a move to restore some "quiet time" in my life, I opted for the "off" switch. 

Recently, I've begun to consider doing the same with television news -- of all sorts and conditions. This isn't because I wish to be uninformed. Rather, I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with all of the information that's delivered -- over and over again -- in breathless, adrenaline-spiked tones. I'm not sure I trust the plethora of experts who seem to be ever-available to offer their opinions and counter opinions -- loudly. 

How does one respond to human needs that are beyond the capacity to comprehend? How is one to make sense of numbers so large they lose their meaning? I can only take so much relevance. Eventually, the phase "breaking news" sounds like little more than an endless loop of hyperbole. Moment by moment, "on-the-scene" reporting doesn't lend itself to any sort of reflection -- unless one counts the two minute commercial breaks between segments.

Isaiah has been full of news for the Assyrians and the Jewish kingdoms of Israel and Judah. The news has been more or less the same. Judgment. Destruction. Desolation.  Isaiah has examined those themes from a number of perspectives, but the overarching theme has been the same: the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses is at work in the world -- in ways seen and unseen; in ways that are often inexplicable, apparently arbitrary or blatantly illogical to those expecting a God who lives down to human expectations. The "breaking news" for Isaiah is that even the most powerful empires will break apart on the stumbling block of the Holy One's justice.  

Isaiah's news for today provides the grain of mercy swirling in the ocean of judgment. All will not be lost. All will not be destroyed. God's promise to the Covenant People will hold fast -- not because of the people's righteousness, but because of God's.  Isaiah's news provides no divinely assured bailout. There is not an immediate promise of deliverance. Only a hope. Only a remnant. Only the prospect of a new beginning. For Isaiah, this news is enough. 

Once the burden of judgment is lifted; when the yoke of oppression is broken, then the opportunity to begin again begins. Isaiah's news is realistic. There will be reminders everywhere of what the Covenant People have endured -- the burden of judgment will be replaced by the burden of righteousness; the yoke of oppression with the yoke of mercy. A new beginning with a new opportunity.

Watching the news on this Advent Saturday, with Isaiah's words ringing in my head, I'm reminded again that this holy season is about waiting for yet another new beginning. Waiting for God's next new day to dawn. Remembering that the One who came in humility will, at the end of the age, come in glory. Remembering that this One for whom we wait once told his followers, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus, Son of Mary, Son of God.

1 Comments:

Blogger karla said...

Okay, sorry - I'm commenting on a peripheral theme in your reflection. Nearly zero spiritual content in this comment. So be it.

I was reminded of something as I read this line, "I can only take so much relevance. Eventually, the phase "breaking news" sounds like little more than an endless loop of hyperbole."

A place I worked recently didn't have television in the area where I worked, but when I went to use the restroom, I'd walk through a clinic waiting room which did have the TV on. Often as not, CNN would have "breaking news" in fervent rolling text across one end of the screen, and bold fonted LIVE elsewhere, chaotically vying for my concern and attention. I cannot tell you how many (embarrassing!) times... despite the numerous times when I would have an eye-rolling experience at the utter lack of newsworthiness, or in the case of significant important news, no new value added to the existing broadcast knowledge bank...anyway, I cannot tell you how many times I would still pause, and let my heart skip a beat sometimes, wondering if there was something awful happening that I hadn't tuned in to. Wearying is right! Can't stand it.

Another example? This one is kind of humorous. We're here in Wisconsin, right? Buried in snow. Again. And again. And we'd hear about "the storm" all day long on the weather, the news, the pop radio station, you name it. My husband will hush me while the weather report comes on so he can "hear it." I comply, giggle afterward, and taunt him lovingly - "It's still gonna snow - a LOT - isn't it, hon?" He knits up his brow at my gentle I-told-you-so and grumbles away. hee hee.

Okay, if I can get an attention span, I'll actually ponder the deeper meanings of some of your posts. Thank you for your faithfulness to this spiritual discipline of yours. It's been interesting.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home