Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Monday, January 04, 2010

More on Less -- Accountable Speech

One of the practices of Benedictine monastics is known as the Greater Silence -- the time immediately after Compline (the final prayer service of the day) through (at least) the conclusion of breakfast the following morning (with the exception of the prayers at Lauds around 4 a.m. and Matins around 6 a.m.). This enforced silence affords the monks an opportunity to be alone with their thoughts, to reflect upon the day that has just past and to lead them toward the stillness of sleep. St. Benedict understood that incessant speaking allows little time for the mind, heart and soul to attune themselves to listening -- by quieting oneself outwardly, the silence is allowed to sink into one's constant interior chatter.

Recently, I read a business book entitled, The 85% Solution, in which the author argued forcefully for accounability in our use of our faculties of speech. In particular, she encouraged her readers to "get off the gossip train" and abandon the "complaint bandwagon". Since reading that book, I've spent some time attempting to pay closer attention to my own speech. I've discovered, to my displeasure, that I've accumulated quite a few frequent rider miles on the aforementioned train. I've also (unfortunately) developed quite an affinity for a certain sort of bandwagon.

Gossip and compaining are so much a part of our culture, I probably shouldn't be surprised about my own contributions to the genres. And yet, I'm pretty sure those patterns of speaking don't do much in the way of solving the problems I'm complaining about or fostering good relationships with those who are fodder for my gossip. So, while I don't think keeping the Greater Silence of the monastery is possible for me on a daily basis, lessening my participation in the culture of gossip and complaint will undoubtedly keep me quieter than usual.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent points

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home