Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Going With

One of the interesting expressions of speech here in Wisconsin is the phrase, "go with". The phrase is often used like this, "I'm/We're going to (insert destination here), do you want to go with?" The person or people with whom one will "go with" is assumed in the subject section of the question. I appreciate the efficiency of the shortcut, even if I still haven't been able to incorporate it into my own way of speaking.  But I suspect there is something more going on than simple efficiency. Whenever I have had that question asked of me, I've often exprienced it as an offer of hospitality and inclusion -- a way of saying, "I'd/We would be pleased if you'd join us on our journey."

To travel together in the company of a friend is to add a new dimension to an errand. There's the opportunity for a shared experience, for conversation, for deepening the relationship -- whether the desitnation is the shore of Lake Michigan, the museum or the dairy aisle of a grocery store. To keep company is the way we get to know each other, experience each other's individuality and learn about "who we are" in the process.

This evening, I was reading from a book of prayers when I ran across the following benediction:

May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you:
wherever he may send you;
may he guide you through the wilderness: protect you through the storm;
may he bring you home rejoicing: at the wonders he has shown you;
may he bring you home rejoicing: once again into our doors.

To be a follower of Jesus is to be in the company of the Risen Christ (whether we are aware of it or not); and to be privileged to be a part of the community of the Baptized, who are our fellow pilgrims through the changes and chances of this life. I suspect if there was a Wisconsin translation of the final words of Jesus in Matthew's Gospel it would go like this: "..And remember, I'll go with always, even to the end of time."

In a world so chock full of loneliness and isolation, that's Good News!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home