Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Confession and Repentance

"Confession is the first step to repentance." (Local church sign)

Someone asked me yesterday what I thought about that sentence. They said they were confused by it. Because the sentence was on a Roman Catholic Church sign, they thought the sign was encouraging everyone reading it to visit with the priest for the Rite of Reconciliation.

"Isn't saying 'I'm sorry' enough? Why should I have to tell some man what I did/didn't do?" my friend asked.

"Well, actually, saying 'I'm sorry' is the confession part," I said, "Making a decision to change one's behavior so as to not need to say 'I'm sorry' again for the same offense, well, that's repentance."

My friend responded, "This is way too complicated. I don't want to talk about it anymore."

As I've thought about this brief exchange, I wondered about the ways in which we've been unclear in our language in the church. Or we use language with a different meaning than intended. Or we've assumed people know the meaning of the words we're using.

The fact is, repentance (which means to turn around and head in an opposite direction), is always preceded by confession (which means we recognize we've been going in the wrong direction in the first place!). Admitting we're wrong leads (hopefully) to a change in behavior. Without confession, repentance is unlikely. Without repentance, confession means nothing.

All of which has had me thinking today.
What are the things I need to confess?
Where are my opportunities to turn around?

Confession and repentance.
Words that create some tension --
Maybe as a result of misunderstanding.
Perhaps the real challenge about these words is
They remind us that our work of formation is never done.
These words prod us toward self-reflection and
Amendment of life.
They are meant to lighten our burdens through life
Not burden us down with the weight of guilt.

Where are our opportunities for confession?
What are the new directions we would travel
 If we could only admit we were going the wrong way?

Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home