Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday in the Second Week of Lent

This afternoon, I finished reading the first of the two books I had set aside specifically to read for Lent -- Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God [and the unlikely people who help you] by Jim Palmer.

The book describes the spiritual journey of a person who has both known the depths and the heights that life can bring. The author generously and honestly shares the lessons he's learned about God, Jesus and the struggles of following the Way of Jesus. Jim offers a poignant critique of what passes as "organized Christianity" these days -- regardless of denominational label, liturgical practice or theological genus and species.

As a former-Pentecostal-sometime-Baptist-with-Presbyterian-leanings-turned-Episcopalian (who has been known to say a "Hail Mary" every now and has a fascination with the philosophy of Zen), I resonate with much of what he says. I have experienced firsthand the darker, judgmental side of my former tradition and the intellectual snobbishness that sometimes defines my current one.

I recognize that Jim's story and his sense of humor may not appeal to everyone. His politics and theology, while influenced by his Evangelical tradition, aren't easily categorized. He's more interested in relationships (with God and the people around him) than arguing about the finer points of doctrine. While he clearly has continuing difficulties with the ways "church" is currently practiced in North America, he nonetheless recognizes that part and parcel of being a Christian is to be in relationship with other would-be disciples -- even if they wouldn't use such churchy sounding language.

The challenge that the book issues to me -- as someone who is a "paid religious professional" -- is to remember that my loyalty is first and foremost to Jesus who calls me to be a follower of the Way. This Lent, I think I needed to hear a good testimony of a fellow traveler. Jim's book gave me that gift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home