Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Eye to Eye Church

Recently, I had a conversation with someone who has been a part of a "house church" for the past few years. The group meets once a week for two hours of Bible study, prayer, the sharing of faith stories and a simple Eucharist around the dining room table.

Once a month, everyone brings some food to share and there's a "potluck brunch". There are a couple of retired clergy (of different denominations) who provide some degree of liturgical leadership, but that's more at the request of the rest of the group than any sense that the clergy are somehow "starting a new church". In fact, there is no plan for "growth" in the numerical sense. Everyone is aware that there will likely come a day when the group may either disband or divide...there is no illusion of permanence.

The person I spoke with admitted that this group doesn't provide the typical religious services that would make them attractive to families with small children. There's no youth group. There are no women's groups. There's no budget. There are no committees or committee meetings. If the group needs some supplies for one thing or another, they take up a collection. Since there's no paid staff or building overhead, expenses are at a minimum. They make their decisions about group outreach/mission projects (they try to do one or two major ones each year) on the fly. There's no strategic plan.

The person described the ways in which his spiritual life had been deepened through his connection with these 10-14 people over the years. He said, "When there's a dozen of you sitting around the table looking each other in the eye, there's nowhere to hide -- if there are relationship issues, you have to deal with them; if you're hurting in some way, someone will notice (whether you want them to or not); if you're disengaged from the group, someone will hold you accountable; if you try to go AWOL, someone will call you. This sort of Christian community is not for the faint of heart."

I don't want to over-idealize what is clearly still a work in progress. My friend was very honest about the ways in which this smaller community brings out the best (and sometimes the worst) in human interactions. At the same time, I'm wondering how all of the buildings and budgets, personnel and programs in so-called "conventional" church structures actually hinder attempts to look each other in the eye and see the face of Jesus there.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alexander said...

I hope that kind of authentic Christianity doesn't catch on or we'll all be out of a job. (Warning: SARCASM)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Dr. KNS said...

Oh, Alexander, I wouldn't worry, there will always be plenty of people who would rather just write a check and have the whole church package delivered...sort of like the Spiegel catalogue. (Warning: DERISIVE HUMOR!)

While some aspects of Gary's friend's church are attractive, for me it comes down to the fact that _I need an actual church building._ One that was built way before I was born and that will be there long after I am buried in its churchyard. One where "the beauty of holiness" is present in its fabric and its practices. And yes, one that supports the living of a learned priest who is set apart for the cure of souls as well as liturgical functions. I found out the hard way during our recent restoration work that it is incredibly difficult for me to "do church" in a bare room with folding chairs. I don't need 10 Sunday School rooms, 8 administrative offices, 4 ladies' guilds, and Jr. and Sr. EYC. But I do need 4 permanent walls, a bell, a churchyard, and a vicar.

From where I sit, it seems that we could stand to do a lot LESS of certain things (i.e. programming ourselves to death in an attempt to attract or retain demographics that are seen as desirable) and a lot MORE of other things (i.e. discussing how to live as a Christian every day and not just on Sunday.) Though perhaps I'm just bitter because I'm not in a "desirable" demographic and no one is pandering to me to try to get me to come to church. :-)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Dr. KNS said...

Sorry y'all, just test-driving my updated settings. Ignore this.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

This all brings me back to my youth as a newly confirmed Lutheran and no real idea what that ment. The only concrete thing I did know was it got me a subscription the asking envelope of the month club from "my" church.

Not understanding or desiring the to be in the dues giving club, I left desiring to find God where I thought he was. I wanted nothing to do with four walls, and ended up sitting in some persons house in San Antonio with a group of faithful Baha'i followers.

Needless to say, I am a long way from that point, but still can appreciate the home Church. The for walled church building is a needed place as long as we don't forget the it is not the Church, but we as followers of Christ are. Where this can help some of us is in the home based bible study where the Church can continue its mission and growth outside of the physical church.

The freedom of spirit and direction of this building free group Christians can offer us some very valuable insight and something to grow towards. Their intimate knowledge and caring for one another is touching. Just think of the people who go to that "other" service who you so happily say good morning to as you pass in the hall and really don't know who the are besides their name tag said John Doe. Next Sunday I am going to make a point to find one fellow parishioner who I don't know and introduce my self and hopefully have a short chat.

3:01 PM  
Blogger FrGaryB said...

I remember hearing a real estate agent say one time that (in defiance of the prevailing sales culture of that profession) she sold "houses", not "homes".

When I asked her about that she said, "Home is what happens, for good or ill, when the people move in. I can't sell that, I can only sell the structure that will house it."

I liked her directness, but she was clearly bucking the system.

All of the buildings and programs that constitute a local congregation are for the purpose of providing an environment for a Christian community to thrive. I happen to be in agreement with dr. kns about having spaces that contribute to a sense of continuity with those who were before us in the faith and those who will come after us.

I'm saddened by the fact that the local church (by whatever denominational stripe) continues to struggle with welcoming those who may not be in the desired demographic. I happened to witness a bit of this yesterday...more work to be done there...lots more!

Brad, I think your nametag comment has reminded me of what M. Scott Peck, in his book "A Different Drum: Community Making and Peace", referred to as "pseudo-community"...this is a situation in which most of the members of the community collude, either consciously or unconsciously, to create an environment that makes it possible to know enough about another person that we can feign relationships with them...the proverbial, "How ya' doing? Nice weather! How's work? How's the family?, etc." There's a social contract in place in pseudo-community that says, "Peace and Quiet are the primary values here."

But Peck insists that peace and quiet in the absence of any sort of signficant engagement with another person (or persons) is a cover for promoting the status quo and driven by motivations of selfishness and defensiveness.

Come to think of it, maybe I need to drag that book out of storage and reread the portions I highlighted a few years back.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home