Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Thursday, January 07, 2010

At the End of the Day

"There is no need to wear yourself out, but to make a competent and sufficient effort, and leave the rest to God..." -- Ignatius of Loyola, founder The Society of Jesus (Jesuits)

Only a week ago, we waited for the moment when the clock would strike midnight, ending the old year and beginning the new. Over the past seven days, I've implemented a fair number of new practices, all sorts of changes -- in diet, in reading, in physical exercise, in writing, in prayer. I know that the only way some of these changes will take root is if I keep at them long enough so they become a part of my daily routine. Already, even some of the simplest of changes have become complex challenges to my supposed resoluteness -- glaring evidence of my struggles with self-discipline.

I've lived long enough to know that some of my efforts at change will fall by the wayside -- the byproducts of my New Year's over-optimism. I also know that I'm not alone in these efforts at being a more balanced and intentional person. A simple perusal of the various purveyors of "news" gives witness to our fixation with embodying the self-help mantra, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." We want to get better...and we want to get better NOW!

Today, I read these very practical and realistic words from Ignatius, (see above) who suggests that once, we've done our best, we can leave that effort in the capable hands of God. At some point our effort, our work, has to be released to God for God's own purposes. For now, I'm taking comfort in Ignatius' encouragement that "competent and sufficient" performance is enough. I'm reminded that the spiritual life isn't a contest to see how much we can accomplish in a compressed time frame.

The year is young.
And God is faithful.

In the end, the spiritual life can only be lived one moment at a time. Ignatius reminded me today of the importance of being conservative with my energy, both for my own well-being and for the glory of God. A worn out spiritual seeker is an oxymoron. God help me from becoming one of those!

O Lord, support us all the day long,until the shadows lengthen, and the evening comes and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in your mercy, grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last. Amen. (Prayer for the Evening, BCP, p. 833)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home