Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Intentions


I gave up New Year's Resolutions a long time ago. I have enough incompleteness in my life without annually adding to the list of things left undone. Instead, I set "annual intentions" -- open-ended, non-measurable directions toward which I would like to move, in whatever erratic and inconsistent fashion necessary throughout the year. And through the years of setting intentions, I've been pleasantly surprised at how I can usually see progress (of some sort) by the advent of the ensuing January. This year, I took the risk of sharing my intentions for 2011 with the parish I serve (in an article in the monthly newsletter). So while I'm at it, I'll share those intentions with the blogosphere:


Reduce and simplify. Reduce the number of “things” that I have and that “have" me. Simplify my ways of working so that I’m not so tethered to all things electronic – particularly e-mail.


Rest more. This past fall was very busy at Trinity and then I have responsibilities for other ministries beyond the parish. I wasn’t a good steward of my time or my energies, and this recognition was "brought home" as I've spent the past several weeks recovering from the first sustained sickness of any sort I've had in over seven years. I intend to be better about getting sufficient sleep and creating space in my calendar for simply “being”.


Listen with an open mind and an even more open heart. Preachers have a tendency to talk and talk

and talk. I’m reading several books currently to develop some new listening skills.


Forgive others and graciously receive others’ forgiveness of me. This intention is in direct response to a recent conversation I had with the Trinity program staff. Forgiveness will be the major theme of the Lenten season, but there’s no time like the present to begin doing the work of forgiveness in my own heart.


So, this year, I won't be working to end poverty or bring about world peace. I'll have to leave that work to those who are far wiser than me. In the meantime, I'll just start small, with these four new intentions. I'll keep you posted on my progress.


1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

What a great way to look. I have not made any new years resolutions in years either. I like your idea of open ended improvement.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home