Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Raving Fan

OK. I think I finally get it. Wisconsin is hopelessly fixated on the fortunes of a certain football team headquartered in Green Bay. And tonight, the fortunes of the Packers are VERY good -- they are headed to the Superbowl in a couple of weeks. Today I've seen people dressed in all manner of green and gold apparel, heard plenty of "trash-talking" and witnessed folks dancing on street corners, in sub-freezing temperatures, without the benefit of overcoats, scarves and mittens. And, I confess, I got caught up in the excitement of the game myself. But I was, at best, only a spectator. I'm not (as many-a-Packer-backer would say) a "true" fan. I'm a johnny come lately. I haven't paid my dues by suffering through an appropriate number of less successful seasons.

Before settling in to watch the game, I was present for the Trinity, Wauwatosa Annual Parish Meeting. This meeting provides parishioners an opportunity to see (and ask questions about) the previous year's balance sheet and also be apprised of the upcoming budget for the year ahead. By all accounts, Trinity Church is riding a wave of good energy. We finished the calendar year of 2010 with a "real dollar" surplus of over $22K.

Attendance at worship services is up just a bit. New people are getting involved in the various ministry opportunities present within this community. And while we have a significant budgetary deficit for 2011, we are hopeful of God's provision as we remain faithful to the work we have been called to do. To be at Trinity Church is to be among a people who are continually looking for ways to engage the mission of God in the world beyond our walls. To be at Trinity Church is to be among a community of people who go out of their way to be of service whenever the need arises. To be at Trinity Church is to be among a community of people committed to the listening for God's call -- to whatever God has planned for us next.

As I looked around the Parish Hall today and saw the faces of some of the people I've come to know and love through the past 6+ years, I realized something about me. I was no longer simply a spectator in this community, but I am a Raving Fan!

I can hardly wait to see what God is going to do next!

Sent from my iPad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home