Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Lesson on Learning from the Skating Rink

I have recently rediscovered my enjoyment of roller skating after a hiatus of more than thirty years. The good news is that, for the most part, I have retained the balance required to accomplish this task with some degree of fluidity. While I don't have the "moves" of the advanced skaters at the rink -- no jamming, dancing, or speed for me yet -- I'm reasonably happy with my progress.

With one exception.

In the intervening years between high school and now, I've forgotten how to skate backwards. I've made a few attempts to remedy this situation, but the necessary "muscle memory" is nowhere to be found in this regard. Presently, my redevelopment as a skater is thwarted until I move past this hurdle.

I know this intellectually. I really WANT to skate backwards. So, I was chatting with one of the rink regulars the other night and asked him for a few pointers. OK, I know, I was substituting talking about doing the thing for actually doing the thing, but humor me!

Here's the advice I received, "The first thing you have to do is get comfortable with the fact you're going to fall. If you relax into that, everything else will be easier. The problem with adults is falling feels like failure and we'll do just about anything to avoid failing, including not even making the attempt. I can give you a few simple instructions about the 'how' of skating backwards, but you must find the 'why'. Why do you want to learn how to do this in the first place? If your 'why' isn't strong enough, it will never overcome the adult fear of failure."

A philosopher on speed skates! Who knew?

Well, he named my reticence directly and with clarity! I don't want to fall/fail! But there will be no re-learning this skill or further advancement in my rediscovered avocation until I'm ready to take the lumps and bumps that go along with it. To get better, I have to become a beginner again.

I have to take the risk of looking awkward. I have to be patient with myself and celebrate the little milestones instead of measuring my progress against those who have been skating for far longer than I have. I will probably need to invest some money in taking a lesson or two and receiving some one on one coaching.

The choice is mine. I can be content with the level of ability I have now. Or I can challenge myself to learn something new -- and not substitute learning about something for actually learning it. The little exchange with the skating guru the other night has challenged me. How many other places in my life are in arrested development because of a fear of falling or the unwillingness to take a bit of a risk?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Wow, who would have ever guessed one could get a life lesson roller skating. That is a great point, the difference between learning about something and actually learning through doing.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home