Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Thinking about Parochial Economics #1

All of the political hubbub here in Wisconsin over the past two months has had me thinking about "wages and benefits" as it relates to the life of a full time clergy-type. I've ruminated on some of this before through the years, but the ways in which the conversation about state employees -- their pensions, health insurance costs and salaries -- unfolded here has left me pondering ecclesiastical economics again.

I will make no claims about how I sacrificed financially to become an Episcopal priest or how I gave up a lucrative position in the private sector in order to serve the Church. Certainly, there are some priests who did just such a thing, but not me. With an undergrad degree in theology/religion and with my "Masters in Divinity" (M.Div.) degree from seminary, the fact is, I'm in the only real profession available (unless I want to attempt to make my way on minimum wage!).

The truth is, I am blessed by a congregation which offers an above average stipend (churchspeak for "salary") and a house in which to live. Trinity Church also covers the entire cost of my family's health insurance and pays a pension premium on my behalf. Both of these benefits are required by the current canons (rules) of the Episcopal Church. The sum of the health insurance and pension costs is equal to 85% of my stipend.  Anyway one wants to slice such a number -- the fact remains, I am in a "benefit rich" situation, and such a situation is no longer sustainable for the majority of Episcopal parishes (and I suspect, at some point in the future, will present a challenge for Trinity Church as well).

How can I honestly preach about "stewardship" when everyone knows (because my salary/benefits package is public knowledge, as it should be!) my livelihood depends upon the generosity of the parishioners I serve? I can dress it up in theological lingo all I want, but the truth is, we have a budget to meet as a parish and I have bills to pay as a priest. Now, I know this isn't a subject anybody wants to talk about. Yet I wonder how we can continue to pretend this financial reality doesn't exist, and/or act as if it can be remedied by better liturgies or more erudite sermons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home