Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Third Sunday in Lent

Before I was ordained, back when I worked at a "real" job in the "real" world, Sunday evenings were times of relaxation and preparation. In fact, one of the great gifts of being an Episcopalian was that attendance at a Sunday morning liturgy was a sufficient effort in and of itself...no further exertion required! Prior to coming into the Episcopal Church, my Sundays had consisted of attending an evening worship service that was in addition to (not instead of) the Sunday morning opportunity.

These days, I find that Sunday afternoons and evenings are often devoted to reflecting (or is it rehashing?) the things that happened on Sunday mornings. I rethink the liturgy -- the things that went well; the things that didn't go so well. If I was the preacher (as I was today), I revisit the sermon -- the things that could have been said differently or better or more succinctly...the things that should have been left unsaid. I replay conversations -- reminding myself of details that need attending; catching myself when I have been insensitive...worrying about whether or not I overlooked anything or anyone in the chaos that happens in and around Sunday liturgies.

So, here it is, nearly 7:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, and I'm still thinking about that 120 minutes that this congregation and I shared together this morning. I know I need to let it all go...to move on. After all, isn't that our lives these days -- a headlong rush to "the next thing"?

Intellectually, I understand that most people are gearing up for their work week -- that they've had to let go of what happened/didn't happen to/for them at the liturgy today. I pray for those who took the time to attend church today. I can't help but hope that some of what happened during the liturgy will accompany them on their way through life this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home