Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

I never attended a worship service on Good Friday until I became an Episcopalian. In the church of my childhood, hymns and sermons with Good Friday themes permeated the entire year. We sang hymns like:

On a hill far away, stood an old rugged cross;
The emblem of suffering and shame,
And 'twas on that old cross, where the Dearest and Best;
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
Or
There is a fountain filled with blood,
Drawn from Immanuel's veins;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood;
Lose all their guilt and stain.
Or
Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's pow'r in the blood! Pow'r in the blood!
Would you o'er evil, the victory win?
There's wonderful pow'r in the blood!
Or
Alas! And did my Savior bleed! And did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head, for sinners such as I?
At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light,
And the burdens of my heart rolled away;
It was there by faith, I recieved my sight;
And now I am happy all the day.

Most of the sermons preached in that church included some retelling of or reference to Jesus' death on the cross. Blood. Suffering. Death. These are dark, disturbing themes. But in my childhood church, it was clearly understood that Jesus took up the agony of the cross to reclaim all of humanity, one individual at a time, as God's own.

These days, I would want to argue that Jesus' death cannot be understood apart from Jesus' life and ministry. The Son of God not only died "for" us; he lived "for" us as well. The life that he lived and the death that he died tell us something about God's very Being.

On Good Friday we are vividly reminded that, for Christians, theoretical abstractions do not bring about the healing and wholeness of salvation. God did not send an "idea"! In Jesus, God offered God's own Self. As much as we might like to drain the blood of Jesus from our religious language, we cannot. As much as we may wish it otherwise, the Church (yes, even Episcopalians) proclaims Christ crucified. And today, above all days, is the day to ponder a sacred mystery we will never solve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home