Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tuesday in Holy Week

Today I attended the annual "Chrismal Mass and Reaffirmation of Ordination Vows" at All Saints' Cathedral in Milwaukee.

Holy Week is the traditional time for bishops to bless the holy oils that are used when praying for the sick and when the newly baptized are marked with the sign of the cross. This week also presents a specific opportunity for those of us in "holy orders" to reflect upon the vows we made at our ordinations.

During today's renewal of vows, I was reminded that much of the work I am called to do as a priest doesn't look like work. Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough work to me either. Being consistent in "prayer and study" doesn't directly result in more members or higher pledge income. Praying and studying doesn't patch roofs or increase religious customer satisfaction.

In a culture that idolizes productivity, I can feel out of place. When my son asks, "What did you do at work today?" I'm often at a loss for words to answer him. Faced with being an anachronism, I can easily devolve towards expending copious amounts of energy attempting to be useful amd productive. And in those efforts I can lose sight of the essence of priesthood itself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Gary;
I, too, was struck by the promise to "pray and study." while I idealize those aspects of my vocation they are, sadly, among the first to go when it's time to "get to work". I continue to need conversion in this area. peace!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home