Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wednesday in Easter Week

Easter isn't simply a day in the Church. Easter is a season!

Known as "The Great Fifty Days", Eastertide extends from the Sunday of the Resurrection through The Day of Pentecost ("pentecost" meaning 50). The first 40 days of the season commemorate the various appearances of the Risen Lord to his followers. The final 10 days remind the Church of the time those followers waited in prayer for the sending of the Spirit after Christ's Ascension.

Eastertide invites the Church to consider what it means to live as "resurrection people" when the human condition is scarred by fear and death. Since Sunday, I've been contemplating the Easter sermon given by Rowan Williams, The Archbishop of Canterbury. That sermon engages this issue directly and with power. The Archbishop's words are not full of pastel platitudes and breezy sentimentality. This sermon starkly reminds us of our helplessness in the face of death and proclaims the power of God that has turned death inside out.

You may read the sermon here: http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/1634

3 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Matthew Oliver said...

Your friend Kara sent me a link to the Williams sermon, and we've now passed it around St. Francis House a bit. Glad you've posted about it here as well...

Speaking of which, do these post-Lent posts mean we can expect more Tosa Rector?

4:41 PM  
Blogger FrGaryB said...

Hi Kyle! I'm glad you all are reading the ABofC's sermon! And, I think I've been duly bitten by the blogging bug.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Kyle Matthew Oliver said...

I hear you. For all its drawbacks, I think blogging can be useful as a sounding board, at the very least. For my part, one of my "clients" (can't get used to that word) convinced me to get in on the action. I've been hooked every since.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home