Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Of Calendars and Moments

Someone said to me yesterday, "Check your calendar and let me know when you're available to meet." In response, I sent an e-mail today outlining possible dates for our meeting. I received a reply e-mail indicating that none of my suggestions would work in the other person's calendar. The person in turn, sent me some dates/times that would work for them. Of course, none of those dates/times worked for me. This e-mail exchange took place in the aftermath of me spending an hour or so this morning simply attempting to get all of my calendars "synched" and dates "plugged in" (I finally stopped when I put a date in the calendar for December, 2012). And the pace of my job is nothing compared to the pace kept by many of the parishioners of Trinity Church!

What does it say when a parish priest, whose job mainly entails "being present", is constantly thinking about the future? Yes, I know, our culture values good planning and preparation. I also understand the importance of keeping all my dates straight so that I minimize the chances of overcommitting or worse, missing commitments. But I couldn't help but think that there was something a bit "off" when, on the 24th day of January, I was already feeling as if the year was over and that I hadn't accomplished anything!

"Teach us to number our days," the Psalmist prayed.
I wonder if this obsession with a future orientation was worrisome to the Psalmists?
Maybe they understood the necessity of keeping things in perspective.

I've been noticing all day today how easy it is to always be thinking about what's next, while barely noticing "what's now".

"Failing to plan is planning to fail," is a mantra of our culture.
Fail at what?
Planning for what?

I understand that if I don't do some amount of planning (and following through on said plans!), I could find myself out of a job or out of money or out of the good health I presently enjoy.

I also think that if all I do fixate on getting the most stuff possible into my calendar,
I could very well miss getting the most joy possible out of my life.

This moment now is a gift.
It won't come around again.
Can I enjoy it for what it is?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home