Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Attention!

"Everything is changing. Everything is connected. Pay attention." (Zen saying)

I was listening to a podcast the other day in which the speaker noted the ways in which we are bombarded with information and the effects such bombardment has, over time, on our ability to focus on the task at hand. The speaker was actively debunking the idea of multi-tasking and advocating for the more tried and true methodology of "one thing at a time" in order to actually get things done. I found myself absent-mindedly checking my e-mail, texting a friend and reading an article online all the while the audio was playing. Thus, I was the case in point for the speaker's podcast!

Paying attention has become an increasing challenge for me through the years. This past week has been particularly challenging. I've found myself unable to resist constantly checking for updates on the situation in Madison, perusing articles about church growth online or about the unrest in the Middle East. Of course, updating my Facebook status has been an unusually high priority as well. Simultaneously, I've been struggling mightily with a growing "to-do" list, which only mirrors my distractions and the loose ends dangling everywhere. Because I'm a solution-seeker, I've spent time consulting friends and colleagues about my situation. I've rummaged through my collection of time management books. Yes, I've been busy figuring out how to get things done without actually doing much of anything. Paradox or paralysis?

Yes, yes...you've read it all before if you've read any of my stuff over the past couple of years. I've been struggling with these issues for a while now. And you've got struggles of your own. Everyone's life is full -- perhaps overly so...I'm beginning to feel as if mine sure is. Recognizing one's limitations and living with those limitations are two separate things.

So how do we pay attention to our interior (spiritual) lives when our attention is so drawn to so many things in the world around us? I don't have any answers. But I do believe the answers lie in the sort of questions we ask about a given situation. My questions for today?

What would 15 minutes of single-minded focus look like?
Could I embody four segments of such focus between now and bedtime?
What might I accomplish in that hour?

I'll report any progress tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Hayes said...

And....?

6:47 AM  
Blogger FrGaryB said...

Still working on the focus...with two deaths in the parish in less than 48 hours, leading a vestry retreat for a colleague over the weekend and anticipating a trip out of town this coming weekend, my hour a day of disciplined activity seems more necessary than ever. Thanks, Valerie for the nudge! :-)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home