Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Christian __________________"

"He's a Christian man."
"She's a Christian woman."
"I want to see a Christian therapist (or accountant, attorney, dentist, or doctor)."
"This is a Christian nation."

I admit, whenever I hear the noun,
"Christian"
Used as an adjective,
I get squeamish.
What exactly does such a descriptor mean?

That the man is kind or honest or trustworthy or non-violent?
That the woman is sweet or passive or deferential or submissive?
That the professional is more sensitive/understanding towards her/his patients?
That the nation has a particular set of political beliefs or social/moral stances?

Any time "Christian" is used in this fashion,
Certain behaviors/attitudes seem to be implied by the descriptor;
Even when the implied behaviors vary widely from person to person
And place to place.
And even if, there is some vague awareness that "Christian"
Is an identifier (noun) imprinted on us at Baptism.

I would argue...

We don't act our way into being "Christian".
We are baptized as Christians and then
We spend our lives growing into the identity
We were freely given in the splash of water
And the smear of oil.

Don't call me a "Christian" minister!
Redundant!
I am a Christian!
And to serve (minister) in the world
Is who I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home