Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Bit about Change

"The only constant is change."

We've all heard that one. 
In fact we've probably said it a time or two. 
Sometimes as a way of defending a change we're in favor of. 
Sometimes as a way of resigning ourselves to a change we're opposed to.

This morning, the liturgy at Trinity Church
Looked much the same as it has from week to week for years.
And, of course, the liturgy was different --

Different because I'm not the same person as I was years ago.
I've aged; 
I've learned to listen a bit better;
I'm a more experienced priest;
I've lost some weight;
I've gained some perspective on myself;
I have a history now with the people in this parish.
We know some of each other's stories.

The people at Trinity are different too --
Some are different because, like me, they have changed "in place";
Maybe the change hasn't become noticeable to them just yet.
Still others are new to the parish within the past few years;
And new people invariably bring new ideas and new energy.
The change has happened slowly (but not glacially!),
And is present and palpable every time we gather.

Easy to forget -- 
That slow and steady change can be as unsettling
As the rapid and erratic sort.
I know it can be difficult to accept -- 
When one enters into a familiar space;
And feels like a stranger.
I've had it happen to me
At other times and in other places.

I keep reminding myself that change 
Is all around me and deep within me; 
And deep within others as well.
Could it be that the "wind of change"
Is actually the breath of the Spirit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home