Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Birthday

Today is the final day of my 52nd year....
Tomorrow, when asked my age,
I can say, "I'm 52."
And the count towards 53 will begin.

To my teenaged son,
I'm almost ancient.
To many of my octogenarian parishioners,
I'm but a baby...
Some have been kind enough to tell me so!

My day will begin with a meeting at 7:30 a.m.
And unfold with one appointment after the other.
Then there will be a funeral in the evening.
At my age, birthday celebrations are optional.

And yet, I find something remarkably poetic
About officiating at a funeral on my birthday --
A wonderful reminder not to take any day as a given.
A cautionary tale to those of us who would pretend
Immortality is a birthright.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

many happy returns

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home