Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Still Preaching

"Whenever the Christian community gains worldly power, it nearly always loses its capacity to be the critic of the power and influence it so readily brokers" -- The Rev. Peter Gomes

Peter Gomes, for years the preacher for Harvard University's non-denominational Memorial Church, died earlier today. He was in his late 60's. Gomes was a true "pulpiteer". He cultivated the eloquence and intellectual air that could get him a fair hearing from those not totally convinced about preaching's value on the grounds of a secular university. He also could spin a down-home story with the best of them. I only heard Gomes preach in person once, and from an "entertainment" perspective, he did not disappoint, but the way I most "know" his work is through his writings -- several books and collections of sermons.

Many would no doubt, refer to Gomes as a classic social-justice, progressive Christian thinker. Some employ that description as a compliment to his work. Others would use such a description as a judgment of it. My guess is, Gomes would simply say he was doing his best to live out the call of spreading the Good News to all God's people -- regardless of socio-economic class, race, gender or orientation.

The quote from Gomes at the beginning of this post has been with me for years. It reminds me not to get too comfortable with the trappings of respectability and to pay particular attention to the seduction of power and influence. I'm not sure how Gomes managed to walk that tightrope at Harvard. That's for someone else to say. But for this preacher, keeping another preacher's challenge before me has aided my own perspective about the preaching task. That quote keeps me honest. It reminds me that I must continue to learn how to follow Jesus in the way of the Cross even as I preach to others about the life-giving necessity of doing the same.

Thanks Peter! May you rest in peace and rise in glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home