Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Second Sunday of Easter

Did Thomas doubt?
Or did he simply need more information?
Was seeing the Risen Christ proof enough for a lifetime?
Or did the vividness of the encounter fade with each passing year?
Did Thomas ever doubt his own experience?

Does belief require...
Unflinching acceptance of doctrine?
Or squelching questions?
Or wearing the facade of certainty?

I doubt it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Hi Gary.. {waving} -- I preached about Thomas yesterday, and I said that I think he's been given the wrong nickname all these years. Not Doubting Thomas -- should be Believing Thomas. After all, he's the first person in scripture to call Jesus "God". I mentioned one of Thomas' other appearances, in John's account of the Last Supper -- when Jesus is giving that long discourse (written as only John can do) about "you know where I am going" etc. And Thomas says "wait a second -- how can we know where you're going?" (paraphrase, obviously) -- He voices the doubts that I have no doubt (pun intended) that the other disciples were thinking.

Anyway, I like Thomas, since I'm a skeptic myself.

Now, when I have some free time (roflololol.. aren't I so funny?) I'l go back and read your blog from the beginning.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home