Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Wednesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Earlier this afternoon, I was standing in what seemed to be an unending line at the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles. There were probably two hundred folks in the building...all with various sorts of auto-related needs. I finally collected "my number" to await my turn and took my seat.

Since I anticipated the wait would be long, I had brought along a book to keep me company during the wait. The book is entitled, "No More Mondays"...and is geared toward assisting people in developing an entrepeneurial mindset at work. Fairly benign. I read this sort of stuff all the time -- usually hoping for a new insight or idea that will help me strengthen some key managerial competency.

I was oblivious to others around me...engaged in my reading, when from out of nowhere, I heard someone say, "I hope that isn't so!" I didn't realize that the comment was directed at me, so I kept reading. Then I heard it again, more emphatic this time, "Pastor, I really hope that isn't so!!!" I looked up, and saw the person sitting across from me with a furrowed brow.

"What do you hope isn't so?" I asked.

He replied, "Look at the back of your book."

I complied with his request and discovered the following words in HUGE letters on the back of the dustjacket -- "Is your job making you stupid?"

Lesson learned. Note to self -- never forget that the collar stands out in a crowd!

And for the record, the answer to the question (to the best of my knowledge) is, "No."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home