Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Praying Out Loud

I suspect I'm not the only one
Who can sometimes be cynical
About wordy prayers.
After all, didn't Jesus warn
His followers about
"Vain repetitions"?

Besides, do I really believe
Praying out loud makes
Any sort of difference?
Can my words,
No matter how passionate,
Actually influence a response?

Then, this weekend
I spent several moments
Praying within a particular community.
When the invitation was given
To offer prayers and thanksgivings,
"Silently or aloud"... to my amazement
I heard many prayers and thanksgivings!

Quietly spoken, but spoken nonetheless.
Thanksgivings for weather and
Family and friends and each other.
Petitions for those who were ill or
Suffering with addiction or
Japan or peace in the world.

Praying out loud.
Prayer as a grammar of faithful living.
Praying out loud.
Prayer from the heart of a faithful community.
Praying out loud.
Prayer towards the heart of a faithful God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home