Tosa Rector

The some time random but (mostly) theological offerings of a chatty preacher learning to use his words in a different medium.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Struggles


"My fellow Americans, I know that at a time of upheaval overseas -- when the news is filled with conflict and change -- it can be tempting to turn away from the world. And as I've said before, our strength abroad is anchored in our strength here at home. That must always be our North Star -- the ability of our people to reach their potential, to make wise choices with our resources, to enlarge the prosperity that serves as a wellspring for our power, and to live the values that we hold so dear." -- President Barak Obama, March 28, 2011


Potential. 
Prosperity. 
Power.
Am I the only one who gets nervous?


I think there was a time when I believed
In the infallibility of my country...
My own personal Age of Innocence.
In 1969, I asked my mom,
"Why are we in Vietnam?"
She told me to stop
Watching Walter Cronkite.


Last Saturday
As I stood in the security line
At an airport in Florida
I heard cheering and clapping.
I turned and
Watched a wife and daughter run
Arms outstretched and
Tears streaming to
Embrace their Man
In a Navy uniform.


Someone in line behind me said,
"Thank God, he's home safe."
I silently agreed.
Momentarily I was relieved.
On this spring day,
Two people had their loved one walk to them!
No doubt, on the same day
Other families in other places watched
As their loved ones were carried to them
In a flag-draped box.


I am under no illusions.
I can question our actions
Because of the sacrifices of those 
Who take the actions.



I can question the Executive Orders
Because others obey them.


Potential.
Prosperity.
Power.
Are these our values?
I struggle mightily as a follower of Jesus.
And yet...
I can only stand in awe of those who
Struggle to follow orders.
 I can struggle philosophically 
Because others struggle physically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home